1. 年夜飯reunion dinner (字義 : 團圓飯)
The evening before New Year’s Day is an occasion for all families to gather for the annual reunion dinner.
2. 大掃除thoroughly clean the house / do a spring cleaning (字義:徹底清潔屋子/春季掃除)
People thoroughly clean their houses before the Spring Festival.
It is believed that by doing a spring cleaning, all the bad fortune will be driven out.
3. 辦年貨do the New Year shopping (字義 : 新年購物)
People do the New Year shopping a few days before New Year’s Eve in preparation for the reunion dinner.
4. 壓歲錢pocket money/lucky money (字義 : 零用錢/幸運錢)
Family elders give pocket money to the younger ones during the festival. That’s why
all kids love this festival so much.
5. 拜拜venerate the gods (字義 : 祭拜神明)
Like many other regions in the world, people in Taiwan visit temples and shrines to venerate the gods, religious or not.